Yes, it's true. You too can make home-made bread. Without a bread maker. It's so impressive that you will be able to flit and twirl around the house yelling, "I made that! I made BREAD!" Your family will so owe you. Because, come on, what's better than warm bread?
3/4 cup warm water
2 -1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 of those small packages)
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter, very softened (or Crisco)
1/2 cup milk
3 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Put warm water in a large bowl. Slowly stir in the yeast until disolved.
2. Add salt, sugar, butter, and milk to bowl and stir.
3. Mix in 2 cups of flour a little bit at a time.
4. Continue adding flour a bit at a time until dough is thick and soft and in one big glob. Dough should not be overly sticky.
5. Put glob of dough on a clean, floured surface (like a counter or pastry board). Kneed dough using flour as needed.
6. Knead until dough is soft, smooth, and not sticky.
7. Put dough in buttered bowl, and turn over so all sides of dough are buttered. Cover bowl and let bread rise for an hour or so.
8. Punch the dough down in the bowl and then remove and knead on floured surface.
9. Form dough into a loaf shape and set in a buttered bread pan.
10. Cover pan and let dough rise for about 30 minutes.
11. Begin preheating oven to 375F
12. Bake for about 45 minutes or until goldeny brown
13. Eat, brag, and enjoy your new status as bread-Baking Goddess.