1 cup red lentils
1 yellow onion
2 stalks celery
2 cups chicken stock
3 cups water
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp curry
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 TBSP maple syrup
Caramelize the onions and celery in olive oil and a bit of butter
Add all spices in with the onions and celery the last few minutes of cooking
Add remaining ingredients, brig to a boil, then simmer
Add maple syrup just before ready to serve
Monday, May 25, 2015
12 pork spareribs
1 cup sharp apple juice
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbs veg oil (I used sunflower)
2 tbs coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
6 peeled garlic cloves
1) Put ribs in a large freezer bag or bowl
2) Add all the remaining ingredients, squelching or tossing everything together and then seal or cover.
3) Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight or up to two days - we prefer 32 hours ;)
4) Take dish out of fridge and preheat the oven to 400F
5) Pour all the contents of bag/bowl into large roasting pans. Make sure chicken is skin side up if doing chicken. I prefer a large pan that gives ribs plenty of room.
6)Cook for about 1 hour (sometimes it takes 1.5 hours) Turn if finishing in oven. Pull from oven without turning if finishing off on grill.
Everything should be sticky and glossed chestnut brown when done.
* The recipe I usually do also has 12 chicken thighs skin and bone still on. When I do the chicken I double the sauce ingredients above.