Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chicken Delicious

Andrew and I found this awesome cheesily-named recipe in a pretty decent crock pot cookbook that I'm pretty sure Andrew's mom bought us at Sam's Club. I could have made that part up, though. FYI, I refuse to call it a slow cooker, even though crock pot is technically a brand name. We have made a few modifications to the recipe, and now it RULES. No pre-cooking of the meat (you know how I feel about that), no other bowls/pots/pans needed, and the potential to have an almost-full bottle of wine left over afterward to drink with dinner. This recipe will make enough for two hungry adults, and it would be really easy to double (or triple if you have a big crock pot) the recipe for a larger group.

Ingredients:

2 cans (10 1/2 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup dry white wine (buy a bottle you like, 'cause you'll have a lot left over)
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (unfrozen!)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
Grated parmesan cheese (fresh is awesome, but dried will work okay)
Hot cooked rice

Pour the cream of mushroom soup and wine into the crock pot and stir until they are combined. Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture and pour the lemon juice over them. Sprinkle the salts, pepper, and paprika over the chicken. Spoon the soup/wine mixture over the top of the chicken breasts so that they are well covered. Sprinkle as much grated parmesan cheese over the chicken as you want. Cover the crock pot and cook for either 4-5 hours on High or 8-10 hours on Low. Even though the chicken is being cooked in a crock pot, it can still get dried out, so I would recommend staying on the low end of the cooking times. Here's what it looks like when it's done cooking (crock pot meals never look as good as they taste!):



This time when I made it, I put a ton (probably way too much, if there is such a thing) of parmesan cheese on top, so the grease you see floating in the sauce isn't going to be there every time you make this recipe, I promise!

We serve the chicken with brown rice (the Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, of course) and spoon generous amounts of the sauce onto our plates. If you wanted to, you could use bread to sop up the sauce. It's so good!!!


So, there you have it. Only one dish dirtied (woo hoo!), and it takes just about 15 minutes at the most to dump all of the ingredients in (that's mostly from having to measure stuff). The picture above of the meal in the crock pot may make it look like the crock pot needs to be soaked and scrubbed to get off all of the crusties, but I assure you, it doesn't (unless you leave it sitting in the sink overnight before cleaning it, and even then, you could just fill it with water to avoid this problem). There's something about the way crock pot meals are cooked with all the steam and whatnot that make for fairly easy cleanup. But if you're worried about it, just let the crock pot soak while you're eating!

3 comments:

  1. K, first off I have spent way too much time looking through all your yummy recipes when I should have been working. Second, you have to try these out. Wayyyyy worth it. I have found them at my local grocery store. No more crock pot cleanup!!!!!

    http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Aluminum-00504-Cooker-Liner/dp/B000RUAV16/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1268781735&sr=8-2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah-- you know, I just heard about those crock pot liners(my mom used one with the crock pot meal she made us when we visited in February), and I had forgotten to look for them at the store. Thanks for the reminder!! I'm excited to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had this again for dinner last night. Zoey remembered it from last time and said, "Mommy, NO! It's NOT delicious! It's Chicken Yummy-In-My-Tummy!" I think she thinks delicious is something bad . . . But she gobbled it up last night! We all did! I love this recipe! Thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete