Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dover Sole Gratin with Broccoli and Leeks

I made this last night for dinner and my 22 month old loved it, as did my husband who is a self-confessed 'meat and 2 veggies' kind of guy. I guess I can put fish back on the menu rotation again!

6 dover sole fillets (it was just under a pound in total and to be honest it made a little too much so I actually managed to put some in the freezer too).
2 cups of broccoli florets
1 leek
1tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese (or any other cheese you feel like)

1. Start off by making the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour to it. Cook for a couple of minutes. Then add milk slowly to make a creamy consistency (usually between 1 and 2 cups - it's not an exact science), stirring all the time. The sauce will thicken as it comes to temperature. Add the cheese and stir until it is melted in. Cover with some kitchen paper and put to one side.

2. Next, roughly chop a leek, add boiling water and bring to a simmer for about 8 minutes. Drain and then blend to a smooth consistency. Add to the cheese sauce.

3. Whilst the leek is cooking, you could also cook the broccoli florets until just tender. Blend to a chunky consistency and put to one side until the fish is cooked.

4. Next cook the fish. You can put it under the broiler but I prefer to fry in a tiny bit of olive oil. 3 minutes each side is more than enough for small dover sole fillets.

5. Once cooked, place the fillets of fish side by side on a casserole dish. Spoon a thin layer of the broccoli puree over the top of each piece of fish. Then top off with the cheese sauce. Put under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown the top of the sauce.

I served with baked potatoes but I think it would go nicely with wild rice or even pasta too. Super easy and dinner from start to finish took 20 minutes! My kind of cooking :)

5 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing. I am so making this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum.... Sounds fantastic!! And I know why it sounds so good-- because gruyere is totally awesome.

    Alicia, did you make it? How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-- Emma-- where did you buy your fish? My husband and I have such a hard time finding good fish....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was AT the store to get the fish when I got a text requesting taco salad. I keep thinking about it though. I'll make it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin - Whole Foods....can't go very wrong there. I just buy whatever is on sale that week....

    ReplyDelete